Benefits of Cloth Diapers
- Great on baby - Soft on their skin with no harsh chemicals or plastics.
- Great on the environment - No more contributing to the huge waste in landfills. The average baby in disposable diapers contributes about two tons of waste to landfills. The stool should be rinsed down the toilet not thrown into the landfills where it leaches into the ground.
- Great on your budget - Disposable diapers can cost $2,000 to $4,000 while a complete cloth diapering system (from birth to potty training) can cost as little as $300! Plus you can use the diapers again with subsequent children.
- Real Diaper Association - Nonprofit that promotes cloth diapers. They have a great resource center onine which includes facts about cloth diapers, user guide, info for daycare, etc.
- An internet search for “cloth diapers” will reveal a variety of online retailers and diaper resell or swap sites. You can also find new and used cloth diapers on eBay and Craig’s List. If you would like to splurge on a cute handmade diaper or cover, check out Etsy.com.
We have been using cloth diapers continuously since our son’s birth in October, 2008. Our third child is wearing most of the same diapers that our first child wore. We have tried all of the styles and sizes out there, travel frequently with cloth diapers, and have had multiple kids in cloth diapers at the same time. We have used cloth from birth to potty training. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in your exploration of this possibility for your family!